U.S. Government Web Sites
Travel Information - U.S. Department of State
The Department of State is a great place to get an overall view of the places you will travel to and how to be a better prepared traveler. Click the International Travel tab at the top for up-to-date news and travel conditions for most countries in the world.
The U.S. Department of State also provides a number of additional resources to ensure that you are as prepared and safe as possible when traveling abroad. These include, County Specific Information (Consular Information Sheets), Travel Alerts, and Travel Warnings. Consular Information Sheets include locations of U.S. embassies and consulates, and information on entry requirements, crime, medical facilities, traffic safety, criminal penalties, and customs regulations. Travel Warnings are recommendations that Americans not travel to a particular country. Be sure to review Current Travel Warnings before you travel abroad.
Travelers' Health - Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention maintain up-to-date information on all major illnesses found overseas, including sicknesses like Avian Flu or Mad-Cow Disease.
The Undergraduate Library is home to a large collection of travel guides for cities and countries all over the world. The Library actively collects the most recent guides, but also keeps a couple of copies fo the last few editions, so that even if the most recent is checked out you're covered! The Library collects Lonely Planet, Rough Guides, Rick Steves and Moon travel guides, just to name a few. Want to search the library catalog for travel guides? Here are some tips:
Search by Location
You will want to search by subject heading, which will take the following form:
- [Location of interest] -- Guidebooks
- City (Country) -- Guidebooks
- Country -- Guidebooks
- Continent, area -- Guidebooks
Using the Library's catalog, you can search for travel guides for cities, countries and regions in this way.
Here are some sample subject headings that you might search. Click on the links to search for the guides.
- Paris (France) -- Guidebooks
- Europe, Eastern -- Guidebooks
- Argentina -- Guidebooks
- Country -- description and travel
- Africa -- description and travel
Suggest a travel guide
Still not finding what you're looking for? You can recommend a title and the Library will consider your suggestion.
Resources for Study Abroad Students
While the UNC Study Abroad Office provides extensive information regarding the various study abroad programs available, there are also many websites and books that have been written specifically for students studying abroad.
- Students Abroad: This U.S. Department of State site provides helpful information for students studying abroad. The information is organized into easily navigated sections, including Travel Docs, Emergencies, Health and Embassies.
- Transitions Abroad: This site offers information on working, studying, traveling, living and volunteering abroad, including information on specific study abroad programs.
Please note: Before enrolling, you should confirm with the UNC Study Abroad Office that a specific study abroad program has been approved by the University if you wish to receive credit.
Finding books and other materials in the UNC Libraries:
About global education
- Foreign study - try "Foreign study -- [country]" for the country you're interested in
- International education
- Education and globalization
About studying abroad
About education in other countries (replace Great Britain with the country you will be traveling to)