The tutorial includes an introductory section, six main sections, and a quiz:
- Introduction provides an overview of the tutorial itself.
- Libraries describes the UNC-Chapel Hill system's libraries, collections and services.
- Topic provides tips on choosing and developing your topic.
- Searching for Information introduces you to important information concepts and useful search techniques.
- Finding Articles outlines the different types of articles you may need for your research and explains how to search for and access articles through the library's electronic research tools.
- Finding Books introduces you to the library's online catalog. This section explains how books are organized in the libraries and how to search for them.
- Using Information will teach you how to evaluate information and how to avoid plagiarism.
- Completing the Quiz will help you to evaluate your learning.
While the sections are arranged in a logical progression, each section can stand on its own, so it is not necessary to follow them in sequence.
The last section of the tutorial is a quiz. You may be assigned to complete the quiz for class credit. If so, be sure to log in using both your first and last name.
Some of the questions will require you to search different areas of the UNC-Chapel Hill Libraries website. You can either click on the "Start Here" link provided or open a new browser window to find the correct answer. If you leave the quiz, your score to that point will be lost and you will need to start over.
As you answer the questions, your responses will be graded and your score tallied. In order to receive a printable certificate, you must score at least 70 points.