Sketch of the Mitchell House by Hope Summerell Chamberlain, 1926.
The first President's House, completed in 1795, was located where Swain Hall now stands.
Presidents Ker, Gillaspie, and Caldwell each lived in it. In 1809 Caldwell married Helen
Hooper and moved to her house on the southeast corner of Franklin and Hillsborough streets.
Afterward the first President's House became a faculty residence. Professor Elisha Mitchell
and his family lived in it for many years. The sketch seen here is by Professor Mitchell's
great-granddaughter. The house was demolished in 1913. From North Carolina Collection