unc logo

Collection Number: 04201-z

Collection Title: Chapel Hill Iron Mountain Company Records, 1828-1917

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the FAQ section for more information.


This collection was rehoused and a summary created with support from the National Endowment for the Humanities; this finding aid was created with support from NC ECHO.

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Collection Overview

Size 130 items
Abstract The Chapel Hill Iron Mountain Company was incorporated in 1879 and organized in 1880 to mine iron ore found about one mile north of the University of North Carolina. At the time of the company's organization, there were five stockholders: William J. Askew, Preston L. Bridgers, R.R. Bridgers, Robert F. Hoke, and William S. Primrose. Robert Hoke was elected chair of the company and William Primrose was elected secretary. Mining began in November 1880 and appears to have continued into the 1890s. By 1892, however, the mine seems to have closed. The collection is chiefly payroll ledgers, 1880-1882, receipts, and deeds for the land on which the mine was located. Also included are the bylaws of the company, the minutes of a stockholders' meeting in 1880, and a few business letters from the 1880s and early 1890s. The receipts include tax receipts, 1875 and 1885-1917; railroad freight receipts, 1882; and assorted other receipts. Items dated prior to the establishment of the company are deeds and indentures.
Creator Chapel Hill Iron Mountain Company.
Language English
Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Information For Users

Restrictions to Access
No restrictions. Open for research.
Restrictions to Use
No usage restrictions.
Copyright Notice
Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Preferred Citation
[Identification of item], in the Chapel Hill Iron Mountain Company Records, #4201-z, Southern Historical Collection, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Acquisitions Information
Received from John V. Clinton of Raleigh, N.C., February 1981.
Additional Descriptive Resources
A copy of the original finding aid for this collection is filed in folder 1.
Sensitive Materials Statement
Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, the North Carolina Public Records Act (N.C.G.S. § 132 1 et seq.), and Article 7 of the North Carolina State Personnel Act (Privacy of State Employee Personnel Records, N.C.G.S. § 126-22 et seq.). Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill assumes no responsibility.
Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Subject Headings

The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.

Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.

Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Related Collections

Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Biographical Information

The Chapel Hill Iron Mountain Company was incorporated in 1879 and organized in 1880 to mine iron ore found about one mile north of the University of North Carolina. At the time of the company's organization, there were five stockholders: William J. Askew, Preston L. Bridgers, R.R. Bridgers, Robert F. Hoke, and William S. Primrose. Robert Hoke was elected chain of the company and William Primrose was elected secretary. Mining began in November 1880 and appears to have continued into the 1890s. By 1892, however, the Chapel Hill Iron Mountain Company mine seems to have been closed.

Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Scope and Content

The collection contains the records of the Chapel Hill Iron Mountain Company, chiefly payroll ledgers, 1880-1882, receipts, and deeds for the land on which the mine was located. Also included are the bylaws of the company, the minutes of a stockholders' meeting in 1880, and a few business letters from the 1880s and early 1890s. The receipts include tax receipts, 1875 and 1885-1917; railroad freight receipts, 1882; and assorted other receipts. Items dated prior to the establishment of the company are deeds and indentures.

Back to Top

Contents list

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Chapel Hill Iron Mountain Company Records, 1828-1917.

Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Items Separated

Back to Top

Processing Information

Processed by: SHC Staff

Encoded by: Noah Huffman, December 2007

Updated by: Kate Stratton and Jodi Berkowitz, May 2009

This collection was rehoused and a summary created with support from the National Endowment for the Humanities.

This finding aid was created with support from NC ECHO.

Diacritics and other special characters have been omitted from this finding aid to facilitate keyword searching in web browsers.

Back to Top