unc logo

Collection Number: 02141-z

Collection Title: Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979.

This collection has access restrictions. For details, please see the restrictions.

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the section for more information.


This collection was rehoused and a summary created with support from the National Endowment for the Humanities; this finding aid was created with support from NC ECHO.

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Collection Overview

Size 180 items
Abstract Chapel of the Cross is an Episcopal Parish in Chapel Hill, N.C. The collection includes a minute book, 1895-1897, of the meetings of the Brotherhood of St. Andrew at the Chapel of the Cross and blueprints and other materials, 1913-1979, concerning construction and renovations of the building and grounds of the church.
Creator Chapel of the Cross (Chapel Hill, N.C.)
Language English
Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Information For Users

Restrictions to Access
This collection contains additional materials that are not processed and are currently not available to researchers. For information about access to these materials, contact Research and Instructional Services staff. Please be advised that preparing unprocessed materials for access can be a lengthy process.
Restrictions to Use
No usage restrictions.
Copyright Notice
Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Preferred Citation
[Identification of item], in the Chapel of the Cross Records, #2141-z, Southern Historical Collection, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Acquisitions Information
Received from Chapel of the Cross, Chapel Hill, N.C., January 1983. Additional material received from Joseph B. Philips, June 2005.
Additional Descriptive Resources
A copy of the original finding aid for this collection is filed in folder 1.
Sensitive Materials Statement
Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, the North Carolina Public Records Act (N.C.G.S. § 132 1 et seq.), and Article 7 of the North Carolina State Personnel Act (Privacy of State Employee Personnel Records, N.C.G.S. § 126-22 et seq.). Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill assumes no responsibility.
Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Subject Headings

The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.

Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.

Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Historical Information

Chapel of the Cross is an Episcopal Parish in Chapel Hill, N.C. The congregation was formed in 1842 and a church was built which was consecrated in October 1848. This first church was designed by Thomas Ustick Walter (1804-1887), a builder and architect of Philadelphia, Pa. A new church and an enlargement of the parish house was designed and built by Hobart Brown Upjohn (1876-1949) of New York, N.Y., which was consecrated in 1925. Another parish house wing was added, 1957-1958, by the firm of S. Porter Graves Jr. and Walter Dallam Toy Jr. of Charlotte, N.C.

Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Scope and Content

The collection includes a minute book, 1895-1897, of the meetings of the Brotherhood of St. Andrew at the Chapel of the Cross and blueprints and other materials, 1913-1979, concerning construction and renovation of building and grounds of the church. Seventy-six of the items are blueprints from the New York office of the architect Hobart Upjohn, created for the building, 1923-1925, of the gothic stone church given by Mr. William A. Erwin in memory of Dr. Rainey Holt. The Upjohn sheets were numbered between 2 and 239, with unnumbered but related sheets designated in 1982 as A-M and J-M. Another nineteen items came from subcontracts and related contracts, 1923-1925, units 6-10.

The other maps and plans include items related to building, landscaping, repair, revision, and renovation. Also included are a few items acquired for the use, apparently, of church committees charged with long-range planning and church extension; and for other uses as indicated on the unit list. Thirty-one sheets dated earlier than 1923-1925 are included in units 1-4. Fifty-three sheets dated later than the Upjohn building are included in units 11-22.

Back to Top

Contents list

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979.

Folder 1

Original finding aid #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." Folder 1

Minute book, Brotherhood of St. Andrew at the Chapel of the Cross, 1895-1897 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." Folder 1

Extra Oversize Paper Folder X-OPF/1

Unit 1: Rectory, 1913-1914 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/1

Includes 25 blueprints, 1913-1914, for the rectory at 501 East Rosemary Street, Chapel Hill, N.C. The blueprints are from Aladdin Readi-Cut Houses, North American Construction, Co., Bay City, Mich. Note that no. 1 and no. 14 are missing.

Unit 2: Battle Parish House, undated #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/1

Includes four undated blue prints for the Battle Parish House from Upjohn & Conable of New York, N.Y.

Unit 3: Untitled, 1921 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/1

An untitled floor plan for a total church building and additions by Hobart B. Upjohn of New York, N.Y., 1921.

Unit 4: Map of Chapel Hill, N.C., 1921 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/1

Drawn by H. G. Baity, surveyed by T. F. Hickerson, City Engineer and Professor of Engineering at the University of North Carolina, showing houses and lots, water mains, sewer lines, hydrants, and manholes.

Extra Oversize Paper Folder X-OPF/4

Unit 5: Chapel of the Cross, 1923-1925 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/4

Chiefly blueprints related to Hobart Upjohn's design and construction of the Chapel of the Cross, a gothic stone church with tower and steeple and also additions to the parish house. Seventy-six sheets of drawings are included in this unit, not including duplicates.

Extra Oversize Paper Folder X-OPF/3

Unit 6: Stone and stonework, 1923 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/3

Eleven drawings by Shea & Donnelly Company, Bedford, Ind.

Unit 7: Windows, 1923-1924 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/3

Includes three drawings showing size, patterns, number of sashes, number of openings, and other window related measurements, by Crittall Casement Window Co., of Detroit, Mich.

Unit 8: Sectionfold partitions #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/3

Two sheets from the J. G. Wilson Corporation, makers of sectionfold partitions.

Extra Oversize Paper Folder X-OPF/2

Unit 9: Drives and drains, 1925 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/2

Two drawings of paths and drives and drains by Raymond J. Rosenberger of Asheville, N.C.

Extra Oversize Paper Folder X-OPF/3

Unit 10: Organ, 1925 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/3

One sheet containing various drawings for the Chapel of the Cross organ chamber, blower, wire conduit, iron pipe, blower room, ducts, dimensions, and other features by Skinner Organ Co.

Extra Oversize Paper Folder X-OPF/1

Unit 11: Map of Orange County, N.C., 1925 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/1

Map showing telephone lines, power lines, railroads, roads, bridges, creeks, and names and locations of country churches in the county. Prepared by Coyle E. Moore of the School of Public Welfare, University of North Carolina, 1925.

Unit 12: Vestment lockers, 1933 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/1

Designs by H. D. Carter.

Unit 13: Maps of Chapel Hill, 1947-1948 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/1

Two maps by Gilbert C. White Co., Consulting Engineers of Durham, N.C., and Eric W. Hill of the Department of City and Regional Planning.

Unit 14: Additions and alterations, 1957 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/1

Plans designed by Graves & Toy, Architects. Twelve sheets detailing plans for the addition now known as the Yates Wing.

Extra Oversize Paper Folder X-OPF/2

Unit 15: Unlabeled items, after 1958 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/2

These two items were made after the addition to the Church (the Yates Wing) was completed. One is an unidentified and undated contour map showing walks and drives west of the Yates Wing and south and west of the Rector's Study; the other is an unlabeled floor plan of the first floor of the total plant (including both churches, parish house and Yates Wing).

Unit 16: Unlabeled plans for parish house, 1964 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/2

Plans comprise three sheets made by Arthur Norman Tuttle Jr., professional staff member of the University of North Carolina Planning Office.

Extra Oversize Paper Folder X-OPF/1

Unit 17: Mason Farm Road property, 1966 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/1

Includes survey by R. M. Trimble, 1940, and topographic map by H. Jones, 1950.

Unit 18: Addition to the Morehead Building, 1971 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/1

Three sheets of plans by Archie Royal Davis, A. I. A., Architects and Engineers, of Durham, N.C.

Extra Oversize Paper Folder X-OPF/2

Unit 19: Historic American Buildings Survey, 1958 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/2

Measured and drawn by Lloyd G. Walter Jr. and George B. Hobson Jr. of the School of Design of North Carolina State College. Seven sheets show elevations, floor plans, sections, and details of the old Chapel.

Extra Oversize Paper Folder X-OPF/1

Unit 20: Proposed changes in choir and sanctuary, 1977 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/1

Two sheets of plans by G. Milton Small and Associates, of Raleigh, N.C.

Unit 21: Repairs and maintenance, 1979 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/1

Drawings and photographs by Carr, Harrison, Pruden, Inc., of Durham, N.C. This unit comprises fifteen sheets.

Unit 22: Lighting, wood refinishing, 1979 #02141-z, Series: "Chapel of the Cross Records, 1895-1897; 1913-1979." X-OPF/1

Plans from the Rambusch Co., of New York, N.Y., for new lighting and for new wood decking on ceiling, and refinishing some existing wood. The three sheets in this unit show a longitudinal section of the nave and chancel; a lighting plan; and suggested new deck detail.

Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Items Separated

Oversize papers (X-OPF-2141/1-4).

Back to Top

Processing Information

Processed by: SHC Staff

Encoded by: Noah Huffman, December 2007

Updated by: Kate Stratton and Jodi Berkowitz, March 2010

This collection was rehoused and a summary created with support from the National Endowment for the Humanities.

This finding aid was created with support from NC ECHO.

Diacritics and other special characters have been omitted from this finding aid to facilitate keyword searching in web browsers.

Back to Top