unc logo

Collection Number: 01831

Collection Title: Southborough, undated

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the section for more information.


This collection was processed with support from the sponsorship of a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, Office of Preservation, Washington, D.C., 1990-1993.

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Collection Overview

Size 0.5 feet of linear shelf space
Abstract William W. Davies of Hillsboro, N.C., attended the University of North Carolina as an undergraduate and a law student, 1891 and 1892. He was a captain in the 3rd Georgia Volunteers, U.S.A., during the Spanish-American War; a member of the Red Cross Expeditionary Forces; and a lawyer in Louisville, Ky., and Atlanta, Ga., who wrote on historical subjects after his retirement. The collection contains a typescript of an unpublished novel, "Southborough," about the South in the mid-19th century.
Creator Davies, William W. (William Watkins), 1868-1945.
Language English
Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Information For Users

Restrictions to Access
No restrictions. Open for research.
Copyright Notice
Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Preferred Citation
[Identification of item], in Southborough, #1831, Southern Historical Collection, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Sensitive Materials Statement
Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, the North Carolina Public Records Act (N.C.G.S. § 132 1 et seq.), and Article 7 of the North Carolina State Personnel Act (Privacy of State Employee Personnel Records, N.C.G.S. § 126-22 et seq.). Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill assumes no responsibility.
Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Subject Headings

The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.

Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.

Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Related Collections

Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Biographical Information

William W. Davies of Hillsboro, N.C., attended the University of North Carolina as an undergraduate and a law student, 1891 and 1892. He was a captain in the 3rd Georgia Volunteers, U.S.A., during the Spanish-American War; a member of the Red Cross Expeditionary Forces; and a lawyer in Louisville, Ky., and Atlanta, Ga., who wrote on historical subjects after his retirement.

Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Scope and Content

The collection contains a typescript of an unpublished novel, "Southborough," about the South in the mid-19th century.

Back to Top

Contents list

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Southborough, undated.

Back to Top

Processing Information

Processed by: SHC Staff

Encoded by: Noah Huffman, December 2007

Updated by: Kathryn Michaelis, May 2011

This collection was processed with support from the sponsorship of a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, Office of Preservation, Washington, D.C., 1990-1993.

Back to Top