unc logo

Collection Number: 04669

Collection Title: Mount Moriah Church Records, 1823-1940

This collection has access restrictions. For details, please see the restrictions.

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web. See the FAQ section for more information.


expand/collapse Expand/collapse Collection Overview

Size 4 items
Abstract The Mount Moriah Church (Baptist) was organized in Orange County, N.C., on 4 March 1823, breaking off from the Eno Church and joining the Flat River Association. The first deacons were ordained October 1823, and the Church met in monthly conference for worship under the deacons' guidance until the first pastor, T. D. Armstrong, was called in 1832. The Church had 195 members as of July 1840, of which about 50 were African Americans. In 1856, an African-American deacon was ordained. The Church was still functioning in the 1990s. Records of the Mount Moriah Church, 1823-1940, in four microfilmed volumes as listed below. Volumes 1-3 contain a copy of the Church's constitution, a list of "Rules of Decorum" by which the Church was governed, and lists of members of the congregation. In volume 1, there is also a short narrative of the founding of the Church. There are three items tipped into volume 3: Nancy J. Sparrow's 1887 certification of church membership; a blank church membership certificate; and a letter, dated 20 February 1924, from the Carrboro Baptist Church about fundraising. In volume 4, circa 50 pp., the constitution and rules of decorum are replaced by a printed church covenant, declaration of faith, and rules of order. Volumes contain short entries documenting actions a monthly meetings as follows: Volume 1, circa 275 pp., August 1823-June 1886 with some gaps, notably 1863-1864; volume 2, circa 200 pp., July 1886-September 1913; volume 3, circa 50 pp., November 1913-September 1924; volume 4, circa 50 pp., October 1924-March 1940.
Creator Mount Moriah Church.
Language English
Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Information For Users

Restrictions to Access
No restrictions. Microfilm only; originals in private hands.
Copyright Notice
Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Preferred Citation
[Identification of item], in the Mount Moriah Church Records #4669, Southern Historical Collection, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Acquisitions Information
Loaned for filming by Curtis Booker (Acc. 93099).
Sensitive Materials Statement
Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, the North Carolina Public Records Act (N.C.G.S. § 132 1 et seq.), and Article 7 of the North Carolina State Personnel Act (Privacy of State Employee Personnel Records, N.C.G.S. § 126-22 et seq.). Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill assumes no responsibility.
Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Subject Headings

The following terms from Library of Congress Subject Headings suggest topics, persons, geography, etc. interspersed through the entire collection; the terms do not usually represent discrete and easily identifiable portions of the collection--such as folders or items.

Clicking on a subject heading below will take you into the University Library's online catalog.

Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Related Collections

Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Biographical Information

The Mount Moriah Church (Baptist) was organized in Orange County, N.C., on 4 March 1823, breaking off from the Eno Church and joining the Flat River Association. The first deacons were ordained October 1823, and the Church met in monthly conference for worship under the deacons' guidance until the first pastor, T. D. Armstrong, was called in 1832. The Church had 195 members as of July 1840, of which about 50 were African Americans. In 1856, an African-American deacon was ordained. The Church was still functioning in the 1990s.

Back to Top

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Scope and Content

Records of the Mount Moriah Church, 1823-1940, in four microfilmed volumes as listed below. Volumes 1-3 contain a copy of the Church's constitution, a list of "Rules of Decorum" by which the Church was governed, and lists of members of the congregation. In volume 1, there is also a short narrative of the founding of the Church. There are three items tipped into volume 3: Nancy J. Sparrow's 1887 certification of church membership; a blank church membership certificate; and a letter, dated 20 February 1924, from the Carrboro Baptist Church about fundraising.

In volume 4, circa 50 pp., the constitution and rules of decorum are replaced by a printed church covenant, declaration of faith, and rules of order. Volumes contain short entries documenting actions a monthly meetings as follows: Volume 1, circa 275 pp., August 1823-June 1886 with some gaps, notably 1863-1864; volume 2, circa 200 pp., July 1886-September 1913; volume 3, circa 50 pp., November 1913-September 1924; volume 4, circa 50 pp., October 1924-March 1940.

Back to Top

Contents list

expand/collapse Expand/collapse Mount Moriah Church Records, 1823-1940.

Back to Top

Processing Information

Processed by: Roslyn Holdzkom, September 1994

Encoded by: ByteManagers Inc., 2008

Back to Top