On a mobile device? Visit http://www.lib.unc.edu/m/
Conditions for Use
- Researchers must obtain written permission to use reproduction images from the North Carolina Collection through a completed agreement form. There are two agreement forms, the completion of which is dependent on the intended use of images from the collections. Both of these forms are available online as PDF documents:
- Permission for use must be obtained in advance of or at the time of order placement.
- Copies are provided for one-time use only. Authorization is required for subsequent use, including new editions.
- Researchers must include the supplied credit line when images are used for publication or exhibition, a video, electronic media, etc. When applicable, the photographer's name must also be included in the credit.
- Digital copies sold for use on the Internet will not be digitized at a resolution higher than 75 dpi and will include an embedded credit line.
- If a negative must be made in order to provide a researcher with a photographic copy, that negative becomes the property of the North Carolina Collection even though the researcher has paid to have the negative made.
- The North Carolina Collection, at its discretion, may request the return of photographs after their use by patrons.
- The North Carolina Collection may decline to provide copies if, in the judgment of the Collection, the proposed use of the copies as described in writing by the researcher would be a violation of copyright law.
- The North Carolina Collection may decline a request to copy a photograph, if, in the judgment of the Collection, the intended use would offend, invade the privacy of, or raise objections from person(s) pictured in the photograph, the portrayed's relatives, the community, the photographer, or the donor of the photograph.
- The North Carolina Collection does not provide copies for the purpose of creating a separate collection for the researcher or in other institutions, nor for others to use at will.