On a mobile device? Visit http://www.lib.unc.edu/m/
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill University Libraries logo
University Libraries banner

This Day in the History of the
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill


September 23, 1880
As a part of the already established Medical School, the University opened a "School of Medicine and Pharmacy," a precursor of today's School of Pharmacy. After the resignation of the Medical School's director in 1886, this early pharmacy program ceased to exist. In March 1897, the Board of Trustees reestablished a pharmacy school and elected Edward Vernon Howell to lead it.
Top