On a mobile device? Visit http://www.lib.unc.edu/m/
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill University Libraries logo
University Libraries banner

This Day in the History of the
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

May 6, 1912
Chemistry fraternity Chi Eta Mu, which was formerly known as the Order of the Khems, petitioned the national chemistry fraternity Alpha Chi Sigma for membership. The request was successful, and the Rho Chapter of Alpha Chi Sigma was installed in Howell Hall.
May 8, 1912
Caldwell Hall, the first permanent building constructed for the medical school, was dedicated. Dr. Edgar F. Smith, provost of the University of Pennsylvania, gave the main dedicatory address.