On a mobile device? Visit http://www.lib.unc.edu/m/
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill University Libraries logo
University Libraries banner

This Day in the History of the
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill


September 12, 1992
The Cone-Kenfield Indoor Tennis Center was dedicated. Home of the men's and women's varsity tennis teams, the Center was named for Ceasar Cone II and John Kenfield. Cone was a tennis letterman in the 1920s and son of a co-founder of Cone Mills in Greensboro. Kenfield coached the men's tennis team from 1928 to 1955, amassing a 434-30-2 record in dual matches and 17 conference championships.
Top
September 18, 1992
Film director and producer Spike Lee spoke at the Smith Center concerning the importance of a free-standing, on-campus Black Cultural Center (which was built and is now called the Sonja Haynes Stone Center for Black Culture and History).
Top