On a mobile device? Visit http://www.lib.unc.edu/m/
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill University Libraries logo
University Libraries banner

This Day in the History of the
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill


May 6, 1912
Chemistry fraternity Chi Eta Mu, which was formerly known as the Order of the Khems, petitioned the national chemistry fraternity Alpha Chi Sigma for membership. The request was successful, and the Rho Chapter of Alpha Chi Sigma was installed in Howell Hall.
Top
May 8, 1912
Caldwell Hall, the first permanent building constructed for the medical school, was dedicated. Dr. Edgar F. Smith, provost of the University of Pennsylvania, gave the main dedicatory address.
Top
August 1, 1912
Jesse Jones died at the Kanuga Club. For many years Jones, an African American, was the head waiter and a chef at The Chapel Hill Hotel and The University Inn Annex, but eventually he owned and operated the “Coop,” a members-only dining facility that attracted many University students.
Top
September 13, 1912
Isaac William Rand, a freshman from Smithfield, died in an early morning hazing incident. After falling from a barrel and cutting his jugular vein on a broken bottle, he quickly bled to death. Four sophomores were dismissed from the University for the episode, and they were later arrested by Orange County officials. After the trial, one was acquitted of any wrongdoing and three were found guilty of manslaughter. For more information on this incident, see Materials pertaining to the hazing death of Isaac William Rand, 1912, (Call number: FVC378 US11) at the North Carolina Collection.
Top