On a mobile device? Visit http://www.lib.unc.edu/m/
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill University Libraries logo
University Libraries banner

This Day in the History of the
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill


March 31, 1925
The Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees named the last Kenan Professor to be selected in the 1920s. Archibald Henderson was appointed as Kenan Professor of Mathematics, replacing Kenan Professor of English Edwin Greenlaw, who had resigned to accept a position at Johns Hopkins University.
Top
October 30, 1925
Poet Robert Frost spoke in Gerrard Hall.  He lectured and read from several poems including "Mending Wall," "Birches," and "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening."
Top
November 23, 1925
Using funds donated by Robert K. Smith and the Carnegie Foundation of New York, the University renovated Smith Hall for use by the Carolina Playmakers. The building was rededicated as "Playmakers Theatre."
Top