On a mobile device? Visit http://www.lib.unc.edu/m/
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill University Libraries logo
University Libraries banner

This Day in the History of the
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill


March 22, 1949
Consolidated University of North Carolina president Frank Porter Graham was appointed by Governor W. Kerr Scott to the United States Senate seat vacated by the recently deceased J. Melville Broughton.
Top
March 27, 1949
With President Frank Porter Graham leaving Chapel Hill to serve out the Senate term of the recently deceased J. Melville Broughton, he and his wife, Marian, held their last traditional Sunday open house at their residence.
Top
May 10, 1949
The world's first university-based planetarium, the Morehead Planetarium, opened at the University. The building was named for John Motley Morehead, who was an 1891 graduate and major benefactor of the University.
Top