Robert Burton House died in Chapel Hill. After a brief stint as a high school teacher and archivist, he joined the University's staff in 1926 as the executive secretary. With the creation of the Consolidated University of North Carolina and the naming of Frank Porter Graham as president, House became dean of administration at the Chapel Hill campus in 1934. Eleven years later, his position was renamed "chancellor," and he served in this role until 1957. That same year, he returned to teaching, joining the faculty of UNC's Department of English. A native of Halifax County, North Carolina, he was a 1916 graduate of the University. The House Undergraduate Library is named for him.