On a mobile device? Visit http://www.lib.unc.edu/m/
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill University Libraries logo
University Libraries banner

This Day in the History of the
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill


May 4, 1990
McGavran-Greenberg Hall, which houses the Public Health and Environmental Sciences Center, and the adjacent Herman G. Baity Environmental Laboratory were dedicated.
Top
September 13, 1990
The William B. Aycock Family Medicine Building (later Center) was formally dedicated. The structure's namesake served as chancellor from 1957 to 1964.
Top
September 22, 1990
Playing in Connecticut, the women's soccer team lost to the University of Connecticut 2-3 in overtime, ending the program's NCAA record 103-game unbeaten streak.
Top
October 26, 1990
A groundbreaking ceremony was held for the Thurston Building, which is named for Doc J. Thurston, Jr., a 1932 cum laude graduate of the School of Engineering at the University. The building houses the Thurston Arthritis Research Center and several other health-related departments.
Top
November 16, 1990
A groundbreaking ceremony was held for the Bowles Building. Named in honor of Hargrove "Skipper" Bowles Jr., the structure houses the Bowles Center for Alcohol Studies.
Top