On a mobile device? Visit http://www.lib.unc.edu/m/
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill University Libraries logo
University Libraries banner

This Day in the History of the
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill


February 8, 1992
In the largest comeback (as of the 2005-2006 season) in Tar Heel men's basketball history, UNC rallied from 22-points down to defeat Wake Forest University 80-78.
Top
February 11, 1992
Construction workers found a letter in the wall of Old West while renovating the building. Left by a worker in 1923, the letter states his wages for the job, his age, and offers a reward to whomever finds the document.
Top
June 25, 1992
The Monogram Club was renamed "Blyden and Roberta H. Jackson Hall." Blyden Jackson was the first African American full professor in 1969 and the first African American man to hold tenure. Roberta Jackson joined the School of Education faculty in 1970, becoming the first African-American woman to earn tenure in the Division of Academic Affairs.
Top
August 25, 1992
The Center for the Study of the American South, with its mission "to encourage teaching about, research on, and service to the South at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill," was established.
Top
August 31, 1992
Sports Illustrated named Chapel Hill as the best college town in the nation, writing that "Chapel Hill represents a college town, in the best sense. It's the purest example we could find of a town that is defined by a university--and a good university."
Top
September 12, 1992
The Cone-Kenfield Indoor Tennis Center was dedicated. Home of the men's and women's varsity tennis teams, the Center was named for Ceasar Cone II and John Kenfield. Cone was a tennis letterman in the 1920s and son of a co-founder of Cone Mills in Greensboro. Kenfield coached the men's tennis team from 1928 to 1955, amassing a 434-30-2 record in dual matches and 17 conference championships.
Top
September 18, 1992
Film director and producer Spike Lee spoke at the Smith Center concerning the importance of a free-standing, on-campus Black Cultural Center (which was built and is now called the Sonja Haynes Stone Center for Black Culture and History).
Top