Aaron Henry:
I think Mr. Nixon became president by playing to the base, biased prejudice of white America. You see, of the votes that Richard Nixon got for president, 65% of those votes...well, 65% of the vote in the country went to Richard Nixon. Of the other 35% that was left, 25% of that that went to George McGovern was black. George McGovern got less than 10% of the white vote in this country. So, you see, every time Nixon used the word busing that was nothing but a code word for nigger. Every time he used welfarism, permissiveness. You see, it gave Americans who felt chagrined to say that they were for segregation of the races, segregation forever, and all that bull...But when he gave them a convenient umbrella under which to stand and say "I'm against busing," well, what they're really saying...It ain't the bus, it's who's on the damn bus. It's us. That's, you know, that's the question about busing. And if they were busing nothing but white kids, there'd be no problem. See, busing has been used as a tool for getting children to school as long as the public school system has been a part of America. But as long as they were using busing to maintain segregation, there was nothing wrong with busing. And now that we're using busing to effect integration, then the president and everybody--not everybody--the president and several other people get the impression that busing is so wrong. It's really an issue that is attempting to return America to the days when segregation, when racial segregation had a legal foundation in this country. If we return to the neighborhood school idea with housing as segregated as it is, with many of the larger cities where whites have moved to the suburbs, etc...If there is not the tool of busing, black children and white children again are going to be separated.

- Aaron Henry, NAACP officeholder and chairman of the Mississippi Democratic Party

Interview with Aaron Henry by Jack Bass, April 2, 1974, Interview A-0107, in the Southern Oral History Program Collection #4007, Southern Historical Collection, Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Click here to access the full interview.