for visiting researchers
The Wilson Special Collections Library is open to the public. We invite you to explore our collections.
Before you visit:
- Search our collections.
- Register to use our collections.
- Check library hours.
- Plan your accommodations.
- Plan your travel.
- Public transit (free in Chapel Hill).
- Campus map.
- Driving directions to campus.
- Campus parking map and other parking information.
You will need:
- A valid, unexpired government issued photo ID such as a Driver's License or a valid university or college ID.
- Checks or cash to pay for photocopying, where available. We do not accept credit cards. UNC students, faculty, and staff may use their UNC One Cards.
- A laptop for taking notes. If you need pencil and paper, we provide these. Wilson Library has wireless capability.
- A camera for photographing non-restricted materials. Wilson Library has several digital cameras available for loan.
During your visit:
- No appointment is necessary to use the collections.
- You will be asked to place all personal belongings, including cases for laptops and cameras, in a secure locker.
- If you have not already done so, you will be asked to complete an online reader registration form and present a photo ID (e.g., driver's license or passport).
- Check our Library News and Events blog for exhibits, lectures, symposia, and other special events that may coincide with your visit.
After your visit:
- You do not need the permission of Wilson Library, as physical custodian of UNC Chapel Hill's special collections, to quote from, cite, or reproduce collection materials in your work.
- If your use of collection materials still under copyright protection requires permission of the copyright holder(s), you are solely responsible for obtaining that permission. Please review our Copyright and Sensitive or Confidential Information policies, which constitute part of our researcher agreement during the registration process.
- In all cases, when you use or cite collection materials from Wilson Library in your work, please use appropriate citations that identify the material to a degree of specificity that would allow someone else to locate it. Wilson Library staff will be happy to assist you with citation information.